[Panel-devel] IRC log and feature vote for kbfx 0.5

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed May 10 17:42:22 CEST 2006

On Monday 08 May 2006 02:19, Dracor Cordraconis wrote:
> Please return the filled-out feature request form back, so that we can
> discuss it further...

my biggest concern here is that the menu tries to do a lot more than just be a
menu.

a good example is browsing the contents of a digital camera as was suggested.
given the # of images on a typical digital camera and the space taken up by a
menu ... and the -purpose- of a launch menu ... i really don't think this
belongs in the menu.

another example is noting when a camera or other hardware device has been
plugged in. that's actually something that belongs somewhere else entirely
and already has someone working on it (the solid developer)

these are really other plasma extensions that should live in addition to kbfx
in plasma. while we may find that look and feel and even loading of kbfx
plugins can be done in a more-or-less generic fashion to allow loading of
multiple plugins that do things like hardware hotplug notification, the menu
itself will probably end up being of highest quality if it is designed and
implemented first as a "start here" interface.

p.s. are siraj, dracor, etc.. on the panel-devel list or should i keep you in
cc's still?