[Panel-devel] KDE4 front-end papers

Thiago Macieira thiago at kde.org
Tue May 2 14:13:33 CEST 2006

Zbigniew Braniecki wrote:
>>who do you think develops kde? -the community-. read that as many times
> >as
>> it
>> takes to understand it. here, let me say it again: -the community-.
>
>Assuming that everyone who spend his time for the project is the only
> who matters has much better slogan "We create software for our own" ;)
> Actually, the more you'll go public, the lower will be the ratio of
> community/users. And refusing your users and rejecting them to have
> their voice on what KDE4 will be makes no sense to me.

You create a distinction where there is none.

Anyone helping the project is part of the community.

>>if they started providing input on the kde-www list, guess what? they
>> -would-
>> be part of the kde web dev project. surprise!
>
>Wait, everyone who wrote sth to the maillist is a part of the project?
>Everyone who wrote a post on the forum is a part of the project?
>What about those who only commented an art on dot.kde.org?

No, it's not a "one message or one post" that makes you part of the
project. Any troll can do that in any forum.

What we want is someone who posts their ideas, the reasons for them and
follows up on them.

So, yes, there's a lot of potential for users who want
to "fire-and-forget" an idea, but we don't have the manpower necessary to
sift through the amount of data that would generate. So we stick to those
who want to take one step further.

>Ok, so - could you point me out the docs on which I could base preparing
>oranges for KDE4 project? The pieces of public docs which gathered
> together would be able to answer questions - what KDE4 will be for the
> user? How it will looks like? How will the UI work?

We don't know that yet because KDE4 doesn't exist. If you want that,
you'll have to wait for the first betas.

Right now, all we have are some ideas that may or may not be implemented.
They can get rejected for a number of reasons or they could get
supplanted by better ideas.

In the end, if you want to know what "it will be", you'll have to wait for
it "to be" first. There is no master plan: there are some ideas in some
people's heads.

In other words: you could be asking the same questions about KDE 5 and it
wouldn't make a difference.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway