[Panel-devel] Xgl, AiGLX, EXA, Compiz, Luminocity, QT4...

Yves Glodt yg at mind.lu
Mon Mar 20 21:38:48 CET 2006

On Monday 20 March 2006 19:10, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> I have tested Xgl recently, and it's so smooth with GNOME apps!
>
> I can resize a GNOME app window and it resize without any flicker,
> like expected.
>
> With any KDE apps, there is a latency: you resize up the window, the
> new window area is filled with gray (the window background color) and
> then some milliseconds later, the entire window content is displayed
> resized to the new window size.
>
> Well... don't talk about OpenOffice.org where the window content is
> full of crap during resizing.
>
> But at least with GNOME apps it feels like the window content AND the
> window decoration are one ROCK bloc.
> It feels better confident.

I have to agree with you...

I recently played quite a lot with the upcoming ubuntu dapper release,
and indeed, it's gnome sucks comfort and featurewise, but, and that's a
very big but, there is _no_ flicker!

No flicker when you open a tab, no flickering icons in the toolbars, no
flicker when you switch desktops....

I know a lot has been done in KDE to reduce flicker, and if I understood
it right, Qt 4.1 will not flicker anymore because it (finally) renders
all off-window before it gets painted to the screen.

But in the same time I believe the only reason (apart being let by
primates) for many distros to switch to gnome as the default desktop is
that it feels more solid and as you say ROCK-bloc.

Features are certainly not the reason KDE is not chosen! Have you tried
gedit? kwrite and especially kate are heaven compared to gedit! I can
go on: nautilus vs konq, I know what I prefer... gaim vs kopete? dito,
and rythmbox vs amarok? shall I continue...?

No seriously, get rid of that flicker, preferably in the 3.5 branch. (I
may dream, right ;-) ? ) Flicker is what kills kde and makes it look
less professional than windows, osx and gnome...

(well well many words, but they were not meant as a flame)

Have a nice evening!
Yves

> Is there a technology hidden into that mirracle?
> Is there a possibility that the window decoration send a repaint
> event to the window content, and when the content is fully painted
> offscreen then the window content AND decoration are resized
> together?
>
> Would it be hard to implement such things in Qt/KDE apps?
>
> Would it be possible to do it in KDE 3.5.x, because KDE 4 is still
> one year ahead and more and more distributions will start to ship
> with Xgl: could be good if users would be confident with KDE apps,
> and I don't think this should be complicated to do... unless it's
> only possible in Qt4 or...
>
> Best regards,
> Sébastien Laoût.

Linux 2.6.15 #2 SMP PREEMPT Tue Jan 3 21:35:02 CET 2006 i686
 21:27:55 up 50 min,  1 user,  load average: 0.13, 1.01, 1.18