[Panel-devel] Coherency issue

Finny Thomas finny.thomas at gmail.com
Tue Jun 20 04:14:20 CEST 2006

Zbigniew,
I think that your comments would be more useful if you reoriented them
towards specifics.

Here's the closest thing to a specific that I've read from you:

> Also, look (once more, I know) at MacOS. Watch how their text editor
> works.
> I'd describe it as, in MacOS, I have a part of Desktop Environment which
> shows me text when I need it and allows me to read it and write.
> In KDE, I have a great application for reading text. KDE will even set it
> as a default one maybe. But it's still an external app.

And I must tell you, it doesn't make any sense at all to me (and I'm typing
on an OS X laptop now).

A good exercise would be to take some aspect or a function, like "editing a
file", and imagining how that should (in your vision) work in KDE. Explain
this very clearly. Talk about the interactions between file manager and
editing application (if it exists). And explain how KDE falls short now.
Again, do this very clearly. Without something like this, it's very
difficult to understand what it is that you mean.

And BTW, Gnome is a quality product that some people prefer. Maybe you're
just better suited towards using it? The reason I prefer KDE to Gnome is
that I like the customizability KDE gives me, whereas I feel handcuffed with
Gnome (maybe you know this as "coherence").

F. Thomas