[Panel-devel] porting panelbutton to menuext

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau Friedrich.W.H at kossebau.de
Tue Jan 17 21:29:14 CET 2006

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 11. September 2005 03:17, schrieb Aaron J. Seigo:
> On Saturday 10 September 2005 08:35, Vinay Khaitan wrote:
> > I am thinking to port all of those. Looks really simple.
>
> the more i look at panelbutton, the more it seems that the design is
> fundamentally broken. you've uncovered one of the reasons =)
>
> after this week's research and design, i've decide d that with plasma i'm
> going to push hard that we unify all the component types. right now we
> have:
>
> 	PanelButton
> 	KPanelButton (aka menuext)
> 	Applets
>
> in plasma i'd like there to just be:
>
> 	Applets
>
> to that end perhaps we should hold off on porting the menuext buttons.

Crossreading a little the archives I just read this and would like to throw
some 2 cents in, FWIW:

Please think about alignment (text, icons) etc. If everyone will implement the
visual appearance of his applet on his own the result might be not too
pleasing if consistency is missing.
By having default base applets for usual usages in the framework such things
could be enforced automatically. Will also help with code reuse...

IIRC I heard this idea and others here and found it insightfull:
http://stream.fluendo.com/archive/6uadec/Davyd_Madeley_-_Applets.ogg

So far some food for thought, if you are interested :)

Regards
Friedrich