[Panel-devel] The ALI: do we really need or want it?

Janne Ojaniemi janne.ojaniemi at nbl.fi
Sat Jan 14 11:30:02 CET 2006

> *Have a special menu on a launcher that will display some *portion* of
> the total files on a system, in some ordered or random format.

Why does it have to be a portion of the files? True, as far as some content is
concerned, only a portion of them could be displayed (like email). But I
don't really see any reason why we should limit ourselves to only a portion
of the files.

The Content-menu I proposed would not contain all files in the SYSTEM. It
would contain the files in the users home-directory. Of course, if the user
has a music-folder and/or video-folder (for example) that is not in his
home-directory, but elsewhere (so other users could access it as well), the
C-menu could display that. But the menu would not display the contents
of /usr, or /etc for example.

Some might worry about the scalability of the menu. Bit I think that with
proper categorisation, the problem could be resolved.