[Panel-devel] The ALI: do we really need or want it?

Andrey Cherepanov sibskull at mail.ru
Sun Jan 8 15:01:27 CET 2006

7 Jan 2006 23:08, Brian Beck wrote:
> Why? Because I only have one juk, and lots of content, it's easier for me
> to get my mind around.  (1 vs many)
I think that view content only in application is bad way. Now application
contains content in application-specific format so only this application can
operate this content. DCOP/dbus partially solve this problem. But we have not
unified mechanism for easy and transparent operate content (both object and
set by list/tree).

As for juk: if I can have virtual folder with songs and action (for this
folder) for play content for all files recursively - I don't need for juk.

> > And in your example, you have to start a separate app to access the
> > content: Konqueror. You then access the content which is not categorised
> > in any shape or form (or, it has been categorised manually, and that is
> > plain tedious). In my example, you do not have to start a separate app,
> > and the content is categorised automatically.
>
> Everything prior has been a redesign of the K-menu to make it
> content-centric rather than application-centric.
>
> You've got to expand this final point.  It seems that the removal of the
> folder concept from KDE would have huge repercussions.  For example..
>
> * Accessing you home directory through the command line.
> * Backups (how do I find something in a backup I have of someones home dir)
> * Changing GUIs
> * Those of us with Gigabytes of photos (or other meta-dataless content)
>
> I think we should leave K-menu mostly as it is, include a powerful search
> tool Kat + Katapult might be right for the job.  (Something like the OS X
> search would be great) That way the user maintains the familiar way of
> accessing applications, gets a powerful content-centric search, and the
> folder organization method is maintained.
We can append content-based menu to top menu bar of the screen (now we have 3
choices for this menubar). Another (or additionally) way: plasmoid with
virtual folders who contains common application chortcuts.

--
Andrey Cherepanov
sibskull at mail.ru