[Panel-devel] Why do users open up a start-menu?

Micah Wylde wyldeone at gmail.com
Fri Jan 6 08:46:06 CET 2006

3D interfaces already exist (look at Sun's project looking
glass<https://lg3d.dev.java.net/>).
The main problem with these sort of interfaces is that no commonly used
input devices provides 3d movement, making the manipulation of objects in a
3d environment much more difficult than in a 2d environment. In addition,
one must be careful that such radical changes are done for productivity
reasons, rather than for sheer coolness; 3d interfaces do not appear to
allow for much for intuitive access to a computer.

On 1/5/06, Andrey Cherepanov <sibskull at mail.ru> wrote:

> 5 Jan 2006 11:21, Vincent Weber wrote:
> > >Maybe you mean redesigning Qt? I hope you don't mean this  =).If you
> want
> >
> > to make a GUI that's not 20 years old, why still hook onto KDE that's
> newer
> > and greater, but still holds on to 20 year old design of the interface.
> > Things like:
> > -A 3D background like in a screensaver...
> > This way you can store Much more Windows on one screen. Productive
> design.
> 3D-design has several problems for user:
> 1. Rotated rectangles need extra space on view
> 2. Manipulation of 3D-object is more difficult that 2D object
> 3. I don't see any benefits for productivity on 3D desktop ;)
>
> --
> Andrey Cherepanov
> sibskull at mail.ru

Micah Wylde