[Panel-devel] Kicker and Startmenu - Usability Work and Wiki

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jan 1 19:44:58 CET 2006

On Sunday 01 January 2006 10:10, Björn Balazs wrote:
> 2. We have created a very rough prototype of a totally new approach to the
> problem of controlling your system. Please feel invited to take a look and
> to comment on it at:
>
> http://wiki.openusability.org/kde-hci/index.php/KMenu

there are some of the interesting areas of exploration that we should consider
in addition to application launching. these include:

grouping applications based on context and usage: do people launch and use
applications as sets of tools or is the usage fairly random? is it useful to
present dynamic groups for applications such as "recently used" and if so
what is a good way to do so?

promotion of non-applications: documents, contacts, data sources (digital
cameras, usb keys, network databases) etc are increasingly central to desktop
usage. how can these be presented better as first class citizens so that we
can choose to launch a contact versus opening up an instant messenger or
email app?

searching: should searching display applications to launch only, or actions as
well? if so, what should this look like? look at quicksilver for macos or
this blog entry
http://raphael.slinckx.net/blog/index.php/2005-10-02/deskbar-applet-hotness
for concepts along this vein

many of the new approaches seem fairly complex, to be honest. not from a
coding perspective, but from both the "amount of information displayed" and
"amount of control UI" perspectives.

alex gravely showed me an interesting little app in pyGtk+ (called gimme) last
month that displays just three buttons at the bottom of the screen:
applications, documents and contacts. each button pops up a dialog that
allows one to browse each in a typical "categories on the left, content of
the category on the right" display with a single depth on the categories (if
any).

i'm not sure if it's enough for general usage or if people would eventually
very constrained by it (his contention is that applets are useless and should
be abandoned completely; that searching by content is not useful; etc), but
it certainly shows a low-noise approach that does cover most use cases.

alright, enough rambling for now... =)