[Panel-devel] The minipager in KDE4 isn't working yet. I'd like to help fix that.

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Fri Aug 18 18:11:03 CEST 2006

On 8/18/06, Lubos Lunak <l.lunak at suse.cz> wrote:
> On Thursday 17 August 2006 20:00, Matt Broadstone wrote:
> > On 8/17/06, headrift <headrift at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > I couldn't find a TODO in
> > > kdebase/workspace/kicker/applets/minipager, although there
> > > is one a little higher up, in kicker/.  The TODO_KDE4 there indicates
> > > that there are a number of things in kicker which need to be made to
> > > work.
> > >
> > > Reading the warnings and errors from building the minipager, there's also
> > > several things there that need to be done - moving to Qt 4 and porting to
> > > DBus seem to be the big warnings, and an error that starts with a
> > > constructor.
> > >
> > > So, my question:  is someone already working on these issues, and if so,
> > > where can I help out?  If not, where's the best place to jump in and make
> > > the minipager compile?
> > >
> > >  - Ross
> >
> > Hi Ross,
> >    The minipager cannot be fixed currently because of issues with KWin
> > and KDesktop in kde4. Well, I haven't fully checked on KWin yet, but
> > for sure KDesktop.. furthermore those applets theoretically will not
> > be used in the future. Aaron said he's got some time this month to
> > work on the design docs so I suggest you wait a little bit for that
> > stuff.
>
>  What do you mean, issues with KWin? AFAICS the pager applet doesn't compile
> because somebody was so smart to remove KSharedPixmap and move it only to
> KPager. As for not using it, how are people supposed to use virtual desktops
> then?

I haven't touched it in a while but when I was porting most of this
code KWin was not in a useable state, thats what I mean issues with
KWin. The only reason I mention not using it,  is that theoretically
with Aaron's new framework there will be a pager applet for that, and
this one for the most part will not be used (though parts of it
internally will work), though I have no objection with fixing this
right now to use it, I just think that for the future its going to be
wasted time.