[Panel-devel] lua bindings

Matt Broadstone mbroadst at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 08:24:03 CEST 2006

On 4/28/06, Ariel Manzur <puntob at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi..
>
> I'm interested in doing bindings for parts of the kde api to the Lua
> scripting language for a 'summer of code project'; I sent a mail to
> kde-bindings and Richard Dale suggested I could work on the plasma
> api..

Ah yeah I saw your post to the kjsembed list, we've been pretty busy
recently sorry about that.

> I saw on your developer pages that you're looking for language
> bindings, so I was wondering, is there any interest in lua? I already
> have bindings for the qt4 api (I maintain the project,
> http://www.codenix.com/~tolua/lua_qt/), but no kde bindings.. would
> that be a big obstacle in using plasma?

yeah lua bindings would be wonderful, however we don't currently have
anything for you to bind to :) Working on KDE bindings would be a good
start. I don't know how you have things laid out with your current
bindings, but what would be really cool is if you could sort of model
it after kjsembed, so you can have an embeddable interpreter for lua.
This way we can dynamically load interpreters as needed. One more
thing to consider is providing a way to define some hooks for your
interpreter. What I'll try to do is get a framework out for the
interpreters providing a standard naming for the hooks we'll most
likely use etc. Do you ever come on irc, perhaps we could talk a
little bit.

Cheers,
   Matt Broadstone