[Panel-devel] Introducing me

Eric Jardim ericjardim at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 08:32:46 CEST 2005

2005/9/17, Matt Broadstone <mbroadst at gmail.com>:

> Unfortunately the bindings that are created your (and richard's) way
> are not what we need for Plasma. We're currently researching into
> things like Kross, which provide swappable interpreters on runtime..
> perhaps you'd be interested in working with that, join us in #plasma.

I have just read the Kross page:
http://www.kexi-project.org/wiki/wikiview/index.php?Scripting

and found out that it is exaclty the project that the guy of Kexi started.
Hi had problems dealing with more than one script languagens in the same
language.

But it does not change the thing, if you are runnig the Python (or whatever)
interpreter, you can still link it to the C++ app with the script, just have
to implement the interface (that he calls Kross). So we are talking about
the same thing. Just need to implement a simple backend.

Indeed, reading the page, I discovered that the Kexi guy had some deals with
licensing. He wanted to publish Kross under LGPL and Qt is GPL, so you
cannot. That's why Kross is so loose(not binded to the Qt lib). But KDE is
GPL, so is Qt and python-qt4 (my bindings). So why do twice the job if we
can have one complete solution?

Another thing he pointed is that bindings were done with SIP or SWIG, that
have many limitations. But python-qt4 uses Boost.Python (from the Boost
libraries) and is very powefull, and you can do bindings in the same
language (C++) you are exposing from.

So... now we have a point?

[Eric Jardim]