[Panel-devel] Design file of SK

Vinay Khaitan vkhaitan at gmail.com
Fri Sep 16 09:49:00 CEST 2005

I want that people keep track of design of SK in a file.
I have put a file DESIGN_DISCUSS( should be renamed to DESIGN) . Please keep
track of design(to be implemented) ideas in that file.

I have put some sensor specific ideas into that. It follows here.
Please comment.

* Sensors derived classes needs to be made singleton. Why do we need 2
cpusensor object? When values returned by them would be the same?
Exceptions:- The sensors, which need some parameter setting, would need to
be instantiated by meters, which need them.

*Update Interval:- All Sensors dont need to set update interval at all. The
sensors like tasksensor, dont even need to update in fact.
They would update data, only when system indicates that a task is changed.

In fact, those sensors need update interval, whose data change is not
signaled by system. So they need to obtain
current data at specific interval.
But things like tasksensor, changing after certain interval of actual change
by system, would look very odd.
So they would change when system indicates.

CPUSensor Will have default values for update. If the theme writer specifies
any meter update interval, meter would
set the update interval to be minimum of all meters connected.
Meters would refresh only when they want, although they will always have the
updated data.

* A Look at all sensors:-

CPUsensor:- discussed already about updateInterval . needs singleton
pattern. No parameters needed.
DiskSensor:- UpdateInterval just like CPUSensor. needs singleton pattern.
MOUNTPOINT parameter not needed. It will return values of
all partition/mountpoint.
MemorySensor:- Just like cpusensor.
NetworkSensor:- updateInterval like CPU. Device parameter not needed. Need
to be singleton.
NoAtun:- Singleton, no update needed. It will update only when Noatun
changes (through signal)
Program:- Non Singleton because of PROGRAM and other parameters.
UpdateInterval has no meaning.
Sensor:- just like cpusensor
Textfile:- non-singletom. No update interval. Updates if textfile
changes(through may be FAM possibly, or when meter wants)
Time:- cpusensor like.
uptime:- cpusensor like.
Xmms:- noatun like.

Sometimes mailing lists becomes inefficient because of difference in time of
world zones :(
Someone sends a mail to list in daytime, which is my night time. and then
vice-versa.
So if a topic requre 5 mail exchanges, it would require 5 days! very bad.
Slows down efficiency drastically.

Vinay Khaitan