[Panel-devel] Plasma desktop/groups/roles/privs/security/etc

Ryan Nickell p0z3r at earthlink.net
Tue Sep 13 02:39:56 CEST 2005

On Monday 12 September 2005 19:18, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 12 September 2005 04:47, Ryan Nickell wrote:
> > But seriously, the mention about downloading someone's preconfigured
> > layout is something I think we need.  There could be a new section on
> > kde-files.org "Plasma Configs" and a new item in kcontrol where you could
> > manage your current plasma config or click on the "Get New Plasma Config"
> > button to obtain a new one via GHNS(similar to how Background currently
> > is).
>
> anyone want to work on a spec as to what such a thing would look like? e.g.
> what would the download look like? personally i'd suggest an archive
> containing configurations, a description and a screenshot; perhaps also
> mock ups / .ui files of the interface for this?

We could use something similar for what we did with the SuperKaramba .skz
files. Basically it is a zip archive that contains a .xml file outlining what
the contents of the archive has.  Here's an example of the maindata.xml file
we use in our skz archives:

[kdesvn][iLaunch-0.16]$ cat maindata.xml
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE superkaramba_theme>
<superkaramba_theme>
    <themefile>iLaunch.theme</themefile>
    <python_module>iLaunch.py</python_module>
    <name>iLaunch</name>
    <icon>iLaunch.png</icon>
    <description>Launches applications from a scrollable stack using your
wheel mouse.</description>
    <author>Ryan Nickell</author>
    <author_email>p0z3r at users.sourceforge.net</author_email>
    <homepage>http://www.p0z3r.org</homepage>
    <version>0.16</version>
    <license>GPL-2</license>
</superkaramba_theme>

Of course adapting it to our needs for the different plasmoids being used and
their configuration such as location, etc.

-Ryan