[Panel-devel] Sensors and Meters in SK

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Sep 11 05:31:45 CEST 2005

On Saturday 10 September 2005 08:40, Pedro Suarez Casal wrote:
> Well, Observer pattern has two forms of implementation. That one, and other
> that is more similar to the "Visitor's way", wich with every update sends
> all data. Choose what you prefer, I think that isn't the problem. The
> problem is more related with "who connects with who", and that's what I
> tried to suggest, a different way for doing the connections. If you think
> the connections creator should be the Sensor, then I agree :)

great =)

i also realized that i'd mentioned in my last email that Sensor would need to
define a "changed" signal. but this isn't true at all if the Sensor does the
connecting to the Meter itself, since it can handle the implementation
specifics.

this is obviously nice because it allows for multiple signals, naming the
signals appropriately (e.g. "volumeChanged(const QVariant&)" as opposed to
"valueChanged(const QVariant&)") making Sensor implementations potentially
more readable.

heck, a Sensor could even connect different signals to different Meters based
on what QVariants a Meter advertises it can accept.