[Panel-devel] Comments in applet desktop files

Sébastien Laoût slaout at linux62.org
Mon Sep 5 13:48:24 CEST 2005

Good work!

Le Dimanche 4 Septembre 2005 20:38, Fred Schaettgen a écrit :
> <Applet name> (<current comment>)
> <suggested comment>

Does the <current comment> obligatory?
It's somewhat redundant with the <suggested comment>.
(eg. "Quick Launcher (The quick launcher applet)")

In the case of "KSysguard (The KDE System Guard Applet)", well, rename it to
"KDE System Guard" would IMHO be better than have a thing looking like a C++
class name (or perhapse even "System Guard", since we are inside KDE we know
that it is from KDE).

And is the inclusion of the word "applet" necessary?
Since it's a dialog to add applets that's obvious...
Or perhapse it also can add menus and icons? I don't tryed KDE 3.5 so I can't
say.

> Panel applet similar to xeyes

Most users don't know about xeyes. So they willn't figure out the analogy.
Just saying that it "Keeps an eye on your mouse pointer" is enought?

I think this would give a more professional look to KDE.

A small proposal to enhance the descriptions:

aRts Controls
Control the aRts sound server

Character Selector
Pick foreign and special characters

Desktop Previews
Preview, manage and switch to multiple virtual desktops

Find
Find files on your computer and on the network

Clipboard Manager
Enhanced clipboard manager with history and smart actions

System Guard
Live monitor for various system ressources

News Ticker
Display RSS news feeds directly in the panel

Quick Launcher
Direct access to frequently used applications

Recent Documents
List of documents you have used recently for quick access

Sound Mixer
Volume and sound channels mixer control

Storage Media
Display & manage (plug, unplug) your storage media

Runaway Process Catcher
Detect an end-broken application which consume too much resources and can be
dead

Moon Phase
Displays the current moon phase

Eyes
Keeps an eye on your mouse pointer

I replaced some technical terms with more familiar one.
That's just a proposal: if you don't like that then forget :-)

Best regards,
Sébastien Laoût.