[Panel-devel] Comments in applet desktop files

Fred Schaettgen kde.sch at ttgen.net
Sun Sep 4 20:38:36 CEST 2005

Hi,

In KDE 3.4 applets were added with a menu and their comment wasn't used (at
least not in the menu). In 3.5 the comment is visible, so here are a few
suggestions to make them more descriptive:

<Applet name> (<current comment>)
<suggested comment>

------------
arts control (One Applet to control whole aRts)
Control applet for the aRts sound server

Character Selector
Pick foreign and special characters

Desktop Previewer & Pager (A basic desktop switching  panel applet)
Manage multiple virtual desktops

Find
Find files on your harddisk and in the network

Klipper
{Provides additional functions for the clipboard}

KSysguard (The KDE System Guard Applet)
Live monitor for various system parameters

News Ticker
Display RSS news feeds directly in the panel

Quick Launcher (The quick launcher applet)
Direct access to frequently used applications

Recent Documents (Recent documents you have used)
{Documents you have used recently ?}

Sound Mixer (Sound mixer applet)
Volume and sound mixer control

Storage Media (A panel applet that displays your storage media)
{Emphasis on removable media? dynamic ?}

Runaway Process catcher (Runaway process catcher for the KDE panel)
Detect and end broken processes which consume too much CPU time.

Moonpase Display (A KDE Moon phase applet)
Displays the current moon phase

Eyes (Panel applet similar to xeyes)
Keeps an eye on your mouse pointer

I'm not really sure about the comments in braces. And someone please check the
the rest for typos, style, german english and factual errors.
When committing them, must|should|shouln't I remove the translations in the
desktop files?
Oh, looks like tomorrow is message freeze for 3.5.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch at ttgen.net