[Panel-devel] Plasma GHNS layout bundles

Parker Anderson baka.rob at gmail.com
Tue Oct 11 00:09:26 CEST 2005

On 10/10/05, Riccardo Iaconelli <info at ruphy.com> wrote:
> Nathan Humbert Scrive:
>
> > I have been working on the "Design GHNS ability to download Plasma
> > preconfigured layout" task for a while.
> > I think I have figured out the direction I think things should go and
> > I would like to get some feedback before I
> > do anything stupid :-)
> >
> > What I am thinking right now is the "bundle" would basically be a XML
> > file that would store the basic settings
> > (Kicker, Kmenu, etc) and a list of dependencies (Applets, background
> > images, etc). Then the GHNS client framework would
> > need to be expanded to read through this XML file and retrieve the
> > dependencies from the appropriate GHNS repository.
> > The expanded framework should also allow the user to choose which
> > elements of the "bundle" they wish to get and
> > allow them to opt for newer versions if available.
> >
> > One big question I have right now is where this functionality should
> > be implemented. Should it be generalized
> > and put into the knewstuff framework or should it be implemented in plasma?
> >
> > Comments? Suggestions?
> >
> > Nathan Humbert
>
> Could be better a simple Variable=Value file?
> Like /etc/make.conf or the file for X configuration...
> I'm saying something stupid?
> For implementation in knewstuff or plasma..... I think that's better
> plasma... it's for desktop.

It is not a stupid suggestion, to use a "simple" format as opposed to
XML, but both sides have their own pros and cons.  Here is a page
which lists some common reasons on why XML-based solutions are useful:

http://www.xfront.com/xml/5-minute-intro/sld010.htm

Some disadvantages to XML are outlined in section 8.2.* of the following page:

http://www.awprofessional.com/articles/article.asp?p=367637&seqNum=2&rl=1

8.2.1 and 8.2.2 are talking about the performance and resource usage
associated with using an XML-based solution, and 8.2.3 also mentions
that but gives us something else to think about: security
implications.  It's all something to consider, but I guess that's what
this mailing-list and various forums are for. ;)  Has XML already been
decided on, firmly?  Or is the format decision still floating around
somewhere?

Cheers,
-Parker