[Panel-devel] Plasma GHNS layout bundles

Nathan Humbert nathan.humbert at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 22:40:35 CEST 2005

I have been working on the "Design GHNS ability to download Plasma
preconfigured layout" task for a while.
I think I have figured out the direction I think things should go and
I would like to get some feedback before I
do anything stupid :-)

What I am thinking right now is the "bundle" would basically be a XML
file that would store the basic settings
(Kicker, Kmenu, etc) and a list of dependencies (Applets, background
images, etc). Then the GHNS client framework would
need to be expanded to read through this XML file and retrieve the
dependencies from the appropriate GHNS repository.
The expanded framework should also allow the user to choose which
elements of the "bundle" they wish to get and
allow them to opt for newer versions if available.

One big question I have right now is where this functionality should
be implemented. Should it be generalized
and put into the knewstuff framework or should it be implemented in plasma?

Comments? Suggestions?

Nathan Humbert