[Panel-devel] kicker is a mess

Diego Iastrubni elcuco at kde.org
Sat Oct 1 14:58:35 CEST 2005

Hi all,

I have been asked by Aaron to make this public, so here it is.

I have been trying to hunt for a bug, and I found that kicker is quite
complicated. It consists of many classes, and to fully understand
how this project is coded, I started drawing kicker classes with a pen and a
paper. Eventually, I found that doing it by had, is not efficient. I fired up
umbrello.

I made a UML out of the kdebase/kicker/kicker/core. I just used umbrello's
import feature, and set the items in a more sane layout. Its still very hard,
since umbrello is not set up for this kind of complex projects. It uses A LOT
of memory, and I see my machine swapping a lot when loading this project. The
uncompressed is about 2MB size, the compressed tgz is 82kb.

Here, enjoy, and if you can fix:
http://iglu.org.il/~diego/kicker/kicker-diagram.png
http://iglu.org.il/~diego/kicker/kicker.xmi.tgz

Maybe its about time to document the code. How about we add some similar
documentation in KDE4? Fixing bugs in KDE is hard, the projects have become
really huge, and such things will help new people fixing bugs.

--
diego, kde-il translation team, http://www.kde.org/il