[Panel-devel] Re: KIO::Netaccess support for themes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun May 29 20:10:06 CEST 2005

On Sunday 29 May 2005 11:22, Ryan Nickell wrote:
> As far as signing, I was looking over the KNewStuffSecure.  It has the
> ability to have signing using the MD5 sum incorporated with the package.
> The only thing I don't like is that it makes it that more difficult for
> people to get up and running making SK themes.  We should use it, but
> after we have some packaging utility that takes the source dir of your
> package and zips it up with your particular MD5 sum signature.

Hot New Stuff supports uploading packages as well IIRC. it still won't be
perfect for SK until KDE4, however, as some API changes need to be made to
support things like full listings and paging through long listsing.

> Is there a better suggestion for storing local data for applications?
> With the recent discussion about KMail and the ~/.kde directory, is
> there going to be a better place for application data?

personally, i don't see the issue outside of backup / restore. but that's true
not matter where we place things. i'm of the opinion that moving app data
elsewhere will not buy us much of anything in the way of real world
improvements. in any case, using KStandardDirs will ensure that this is a
non-issue for SK.