[Panel-devel] applet creator

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 23 00:30:49 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 22 June 2005 11:02, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> The newer ideas of KDevelop AFAIU are that of a framework where you can
> plugin anything to make it a developing thing of what you like. So if the
> plasma developing (could be even by subplugin per programming language) and
> packaging plugins are easy Plasma-KDevelop is easy, too. You get support
> for builtin-doc-browser, projekt management, VCs etc. for free (perhaps as
> in framework).

does writing a panel applet require all that stuff? how difficult is it to
learn the surrounding KDevelop framework? how many people who would like to
create a quick 'n simple plasma applet would even have kdevelop installed?

my thinking is this: if we do this right, 95% of the widgets available for
plasma will be <100 LOC and written in JS/Ruby/Python .. if the time required
to learn how to package up an applet takes any significant % of the time
required to learn the applet API or to actually write the applet then we will
severely hurt the growth of the add-on community. it needs to be fast, simple
and immediately available.

i'm thinking of something _really_ simple here, btw. one dialog, or at worst a
wizard, with a couple of questions and a "Make Me A Package!" button ...
perhaps it even ships with plasma by default! now, this could become a plugin
for kdevelop to support larger applet devel, but for the person who is
writing a 50 line applet using KJSEmbed, some HTML and a couple of pictures
done up in Krita i fear that kdevelop would be like killing an ant with a
sledghammer and chase off more people than it would help.