[Panel-devel] KDE4

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Wed Jun 22 17:28:39 CEST 2005

On Tuesday 21 June 2005 22:23, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> so ... we should have a Plasma::Features singleton class that
> provides things like "bool openGL()" and "bool composite()". so in
> our code we can do
>
> 	if (Plasma::Features::the()->openGL())
> 	{
> 		openGLCoolness();
> 	}
> 	else
> 	{
> 		crappyBoringPath();
> 	}

That's so eighties ;) What I want to do for Plasma is introduce a
concept of "gfx chains".

Let me quickly explain what "gfx chains" would be.

The basic problem with all special effects in all desktop environments
right now is that they are widget specific. For KDE 4 I'd like to have
effects that are indepenent of widgets. And then widget developers can
hook up effects for different stages of the rendering. For example a
widget could create a chain of :
- masking effect (like our current tooltips),
- rotation effect (just rotate the widget 360 degrees)
and bind it to a certain event eg. mapping of it.

Furthermore user could create chains for certain elements of the
panel/desktop.

So people develop effects completely seperately from the widgets
(certain effects might be available only to certain widgets though).
Also effects could advertise need for OpenGL accleration to perform
their functions. So if a user doesn't have hw acceleration those
special effects wouldn't be even available.

Zack

--
Bill Gates: "Innovation"
Me: "You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think