[Panel-devel] applet creator

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 21 17:19:17 CEST 2005

hey all =)

something that we probably ought to ship with plasma is an applet studio. at
the very basic level this should package the individual files that make up an
applet into a distributable package.

in the packager GUI you should be able to add all the graphics that will be
used, all the HTML/CSS, all the designer forms, all the configuration XML,
etc... and it will spit out a single file that is an installable plasma
applet. it should also probably create the necessary .desktop files and
collect information such as the author name and license of the applet.

obviously this won't be so much for C++ applets, but for JS/Ruby/Python
applets. i think this would make a great little project for someone to work
on, and will be a really important tool to ship.

any thoughts on additional requirements / specs? once this is done, i'll
probably add some information on it to the website so we keep track of this
idea =)