[Panel-devel] KDE4

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jun 21 07:13:41 CEST 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 11:04, Ryan Nickell wrote:
> So next monday we all need to get the kde4 branch and start building.

correct. well, anytime between monday and when you want to start working on
kde4 ;)

> >From there we'll all start on the same page.  kdelibs and kdebase are
>
> all that are needed for a kde install to run barebones?

yes.

> > - creating libplasma (the library for applets)
> > 	- what do we want to offer applets?
> > 		- does libkicker split into two, or does it become libplasma?
>
> We also need to get a libsk(or libsuperkaramba) ready as well.

well, i'd like to explore the concept that libplasma is the applet appropriate
parts of libkicker + libsk. libplasma should contain everything an applet
needs to link against. it then also becomes the sole target for language
bindings. thoughts?

and have the SK devels put any thought towards what you want the SK lib to
look like at this point?

> > 	- new applet management UI (handles on panels, $SOMETHING on the
> > desktop)
>
> ZUI as well?

probably. thought NOT like in raskin's abortion of an experiment (by which i
mean "the humane interface"). kompose is a ZUI, after a fashion. multiple
desktop layouts tied to project/context will probably form the foundation for
desktop ZUI. a freely zooming desktop is just too out there to introduce at
this piont IMHO and doesn't particularly work anyways.

> Liquid Weather is probably the most downloaded/used SuperKaramba theme
> out there, and Matt is awesome about working with us on SuperKaramba
> developments.

ok. let's target that one then. it's also a great candidate for testing the
different form factors: icon on the panel with an extender, full applet on
the desktop.

> > one of my current goals is to create a way for an
> > applet to *easily* tap into another user's desktop and coordinate with
> > it, allowing for connected applets over the network. this will become one
> > of the killer features of Plasma.
>
> I must have missed this mention somewhere, but it sounds really cool!

yes... this was the result of my evening chatting with the newfoundlander
neurobioligist at the pub last week. it's all part of my nefarious and
as-yet-not-completeley-revealed-to-the-world plans for a project-centric
desktop workflow. i want to make desktop "eye candy" something that impacts
how businesses use their computers in the same sort of way IM has and email
did.