[Panel-devel] Plasma Desktop: Drop Forwarding

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 20 14:36:07 CEST 2005

On Monday 20 June 2005 04:29, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> With Plasma integration, this will not be the same. How Plasma will know
> if: - It must understand the dropped app-launcher item as an app-launcher
> and create an icon or,
> - It must understand it as a basket-item and create a basket-applet with
> it.

the same way it interprets drops now: based on the drag object mimetype.
basket knows best what the meaning of a dragged object is, so it should
select the right dragobject(s) with the correct mimetype(s). KMultiDrag makes
it easy to combine several dragobjects into one drag event, and of course a
single drag object can house multiple mimetypes.

> I propose that if the user dragged _a group or more than one item_, it
> should be understood by Plasma (the panel OR the desktop) as a
> basket-applet. If _only one launcher is dropped_, it have to be understood
> as a launcher and act like currently.

this behaviour can be easily controlled by basket picking the correct
dragobject(s) to use.

> for the moment: we can imagine to copy the dropped items to the
> desktop/panel, or move the dragged items/group to the panel/desktop, or
> LINK the group to the panel, so, eg. when dragging a group to the panel,
> modifying items in the panel drawer will also modify them in the original
> basket.

linking individual items in one basket to another would be a pretty complex
thing for users to keep track of. linking an entire basket is another matter,
but for contents i'd suggest sticking to copying or moving.