[Panel-devel] Plasma Desktop: Drop Forwarding

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 16 04:31:05 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 02:54, Sébastien Laoût wrote:
> First, I want to say that you have very good and refreshing ideas for
> Plasma in KDE4.
> I can't wait :-)

=)

> I have a little suggestion:
> The concept of dragging things from the panel to the desktop or a window is
> cool.
> But I think the concept can be extended to other applications that are not
> panel/desktop applets.

we were actually talking about this a few evenings ago on IRC ... to be able
to provide proper services such as whiteboards and live, filtered IM contacts
lists on the desktop we need the ability for apps to provide plasma applets
as components, perhaps even using them within the apps themselves as well.
e.g. it seems obvious to drag juk's control buttons to the panel or desktop
and get the proper applet (this was an example that actually came up, not too
far from your kmix example)

so, yes, this is on my radar. i have much larger plans for things in the long
run, but i'm concentrating on the next 6 months of development first to get
us to where we need to be to start doing these kinds of things.

btw... with basKet... i think there is a lot of obvious synergy between it and
the desktop and panels. if you plan on working closely with these things in
KDE4 it may make sense for you to be on this devel list.