[Panel-devel] Some questions?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 22:01:34 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 01:01, Birger Kollstrand wrote:
> First, your project look  very interesting!

thanks =)

> I was just wondering what you have as base requirements for the new
> desktop? I can not seem to find that information on the web site.

yes, the website is (as it says on the main page) in beta with content still
making it's way there.

> - do you have any speed requirements? Both on the underlying HW and on the
> expected execution speed of the desktop?

we haven't gotten that far. but i'm going to be pushing us all to make it kind
on the processor and memory. one of the goals with Plasma is to make
superkaramba widgets more efficient for instance.

> - are there requirements on scalability from handhelds to workstations?

not at this time. form factor differences between those two particular ends of
the spectrum are different enough to require different designs, usually. that
said, the applets in Plasma will have the concept of rendering themselves to
different for factors, for instance between the desktop (where they can
generally sprawl) and a panel (where they have constraint along one axis), so
there is hope =)

however we'd need a developer with a competent handheld device and the desire
to work with Plasma on it to make such targets part of the game plan. there's
no point in making requirements for things we can't fulfill =)

> - are you considereing having accelerated graphics hw as a requirement?
> OpenGL?

no. such requirements are not acceptable IMHO as we would be locking out far
too many of our users. it would simply lead to KDE being perceived as "slow"
by many. hopefully those who do have competent graphics hardware will be able
to take advantage of it, but that can't become a requirement in this day and
age.

> - what about voice control? Both for the handicaped and for other
> environments where keyboard/mouse is a no go?

this is for the accessibility team and is being addressed at a far lower layer
in the stack than Plasma =)