[Panel-devel] Patch: sort taskbar entries by position in kmenu

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jun 8 18:26:28 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 03:45, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> It's probably your decision that openoffice and office are so far apart. If

no. it was a download of a new version of OpenOffice installed to my local
user and the XDG menu system conspiring against me =(

> Of course if all depends on the kmenu having a reasonable layout and not
> "favorite apps", "utils", "misc" ;)

which is where it sort of starts to fall apart.

> > the taskbar code is snaky (and slow) enough as it is. i'd rather go the
> > other direction, actually, if possible. fix the bugs that are there and
> > straighten it out.
>
> It's only expensive the first time an application is started, the rest of
> the time it's just a map access more. But these things add up over time,
> that's true.

yep.

> Which one is the "other direction"? Strict sorting by application name? Or
> keep the current append-to-right behaviour if it's the first instance?

strict sorting by application name would be my current preference. though i'm
happy to be disuaded from that preference =)

on the other hand ... we could start thinking more visionary like and say:
"applications should advertise what kind of service they provide so we can
manage them by context."

this devolves into:

	o how do applications advertise this (window manager hints per window? what
do those hints look like?)
	o how do we define the "kinds of service" so we don't get "image renderer"
and "pixel pusher" from two image editting apps and thereby devolving into a
sea of babel
	o how do we handle legacy apps (i'd say just ignore them and sort those by
name)
	o what sort of "manage by context" behaviours would we like to introduce?

for 3.5 let's restore the "by name" ordering and for 4.0 let's get visionary.
what do you think?