[Panel-devel] Patch for KickerTip

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 6 16:59:55 CEST 2005

On Monday 06 June 2005 12:07, Martin Raum wrote:
> But another another reason, why I wrote mine, were some statements, which
> are very implicite in KickerTip itself, espacially in regard of the
> frametimer (you will see I renamed it in my code).
> In dissolveMask() the code
>     else if (m_dissolveSize < 0)
>     {
>         m_frameTimer.stop();
>         m_dissolveDelta = 1;
>     }
> is wirred, in my opinion. It may lead to the vanishing of the tip, if it
> has to be repainted very often. And time is wasted too, if the dissolveMask
> is used, although the plainMask is enough.

yes, nearly 0 optimization work has been done on that class. i don't think
there are any "vanishing" problems with the tip, but i'm sure it could be
made to go faster =) i haven't had the time to actually profile it, though,
and it works fast enough on a PII 400, so it can't be that bad. ;) still, i'd
be happy to see some optimizations made, and it would be best if it can be
shown that the optimizations actually have real world benefits (e.g. some
rough profiling/benchmarks).