[Panel-devel] Re: Plasmatic widgets

Fred Schaettgen kde.sch at ttgen.net
Mon Jun 6 12:41:16 CEST 2005

On Monday, 6. June 2005 11:28, Zack Rusin wrote:
> On Sunday 05 June 2005 21:54, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > would it not be possible to raise the entire desktop widget on
> > command? we don't need to raise the widgets individually,
> > necessarily. they can be composited onto a "backplane" raised and
> > lowered as a whole.
>
> Yeah, we could do that, but we already have that with "Show desktop",
> that's how it would basically like. So I'm not sure if that's the best
> option.

The appearance isn't all the same. If you have only a few applets on the
desktop (let's say a small calendar and a launcher applet) it will produce a
lot less flicker if the applets are raised instead of all other application
minimized - especially when this can be done very fast by holding and
releasing a hotkey.
In that case the user told the system "Show me my applets" and not "Hide
everything else with the side effect of showing my applets". Raising an
application also doesn't hide everything else.

The only thing that won't work the same is the desktop context menu - if the
applets are raised, then the user can only interact with the items, not with
the plane itself. Well, maybe he could, if clicks on the empty space between
applets would be passed to the plane, but passing it to the applications is
probably what people expect.

I just wonder if people want the contents of the raisable plane to be the same
as the desktop. I guess many will prefer a configuration for the raisable
plane (what did we call that again? Third layer?) that is more lightweight
than for the desktop. This would complicate the usage on the other hand, so I
wonder what's best:
1) Two independent layers. One on the desktop, one activated with a hotkey
2) Two layers, both visible on the desktop, one can be raised with a hotkey
3) One layer, visible on the desktop and raisable

-> 1 Allows for applets that are not shown on the desktop at all. On the other
hand many setups will require multiple instances of applets to show them both
on the desktop and the third layer, which is not even possible with all
applets.
Editing: Third layer would be configured idependently from the desktop

-> 2 Works better with single instance applets.
Editing: Together with the desktop layer, option for each applet (Context menu
"Raise with <hotkey>"). Maybe drop shadow for raisable applets, no shadow for
desktop-only applets.

-> 3 Most simple configuration, but maybe not flexible enough.

There will also be demand for applets staying always on top. I don't need and
like that myself, but others do for sure.

Fred

--
Fred Schaettgen
kde.sch at ttgen.net