[Panel-devel] Plasmatic widgets

Zack Rusin zack at kde.org
Sun Jun 5 22:33:47 CEST 2005

On Sunday 05 June 2005 12:28, Ryan Nickell wrote:
> Regardless, you're right that it needs to be better implemented to do
> "auto masking".  Does Qt4 have an improved self masking mechanism
> that will allow this?  My only experience trying to do this was using
> createHeuristicMask() with pixmaps.

heh, easier than creating masks? "Widget shape follows mind" you mean?
No we don't have that yet. You can have anything simpler on widgets.
For plasma what I am contemplating on doing is simply implement desktop
composition. Where plasma "widgets" aren't real widgets but actual
parts of the desktop. Then for, lets call it, PlasmaWidget I can set a
clip path which would going to act as a mask. This approach has a
problem in that you can't bring a desktop widget to the foreground
(meaning it will have the same stacking as your desktop - underneath
everything). I'm not sure if that's a problem though since I don't know
too many people who want to run the desktop widgets on top of their
windows anyway.

Zack

--
I.R.S.: We've got what it takes to take what you've got!