[Panel-devel] KDE 4 / superkaramba integration

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jun 2 02:25:32 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 01 June 2005 05:57, Ryan Nickell wrote:
> Why can't the resulting applet, regardless of the language it's written,
> be a QWidget like existing themes are today in SK?

no reason at all. applets in Kicker are, at the end of the day, a QWidget as
well. it's just that "should it be a QWidget?" isn't a very interesting
question. it's an implementation detail. the interesting question is "What
should the applet SDK look like?".

> > the aspect to think about is the developer's interface. the API is first
> > bound to language, and then to implementation.
>
> This means that we need to have parallel API for the supported
> languages?  So the same function would show up in Ruby, Python, KJSEmbed
> bindings in a theme?

that should be the goal IMHO. we can start with just Python and KJS for now to
keep it a bit simpler, though.

> > so the primary point is where does the programmer see Plasma/Aurora?
> > that's all that really matters =) from there all implementation details
> > follow.
>
> I see it as a gateway to quickly developed eyecandy and usability.

ah, sorry, my question was ambiguous. less ambiguously it would've been:

	What is the API that an applet developer sees?

i think we all agree it's about a gateway to quickly develop Cool Things That
Are Also Useful. but we don't have a great fix yet on what the API that
allows that to happen will look like.