[Panel-devel] Superkaramba theme dialog

Ryan Nickell p0z3r at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 01:10:47 CEST 2005

On Tue, 2005-05-31 at 14:31 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 31 May 2005 05:41, Fred Schaettgen wrote:
> > Wouldn't it be even nicer if SK was harmonized with kicker to the extent
> > that SK themes are nothing more, nothing less than applets?
>
> for KDE4, certainly. in fact, i almost want it to go the other way: that
> applets become nothing more / nothing less than SK++ themes.
>
> the language bindings that make SK so accessible (which in turn makes creating
> a community around it so possible) would become the "additional" part from a
> developer's perspective. from a user's persepective it should be seamless.
Not to mention the carry over from the existing community surrounding
SK.

> but this is stuff for SK in KDE 3.5, so we can't get quite so radical yet
> (correct me if i'm wrong here, SK people)
The 3.5 inclusion release of SK will probably be its last stand alone
release as an application.  Moving forward, kdesktop/kicker/sk will all
be the same thing merged together as far as functionality wise and then
some.

> perhaps the most radical we could get is for SK to rely on libkickermain.so in
> 3.5 and reuse components like the Add Applet dialog. but i personally think
> that might be a bit more work than its worth, since it would have to be
> redone somewhat again for KDE4 anyways. =/
I still would like it a bit standalone so when we are reworking stuff
for 4.0, we aren't reinventing the wheel yet again.