[Panel-devel] Superkaramba theme dialog

Ryan Nickell p0z3r at earthlink.net
Wed Jun 1 00:53:47 CEST 2005

On Mon, 2005-05-30 at 23:59 -0600, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Monday 30 May 2005 11:27, Petri Damsten wrote:
> > - When systray icon is clicked open the dialog attached.
>
> the "Themes:" label at the top is probably superfluous.
>
> > 	- User can add themes to list using browse
>
> it would be nice if this could be harmonized with the Add New Applets dialog
> in kicker, which already looks very similar to your screenshot. the buttons
> at the bottom of Add New Applets is "Add to Panel" and "Close" ; so could we
> instead of an "Add to Desktop" button?
I like the 'Add to Desktop' idea.  Does this mean we need to start
running kde svn to start combining our work, or just sit on this until
3.5 is over, always keeping it in mind?

> for "Open" and "New Stuff", those could be special items at the top of the
> list that look like other themes but which represent actions... as a bonus,
> you could use the description bit to give some documentation such as,
> "Selecting this item will open a file dialog. Select a new theme file and
> SuperKaramba will install it an add it to the list." or something like that.
> perhaps shorter ;)
How about a filtering tab system.  The default showing tab has currently
available themes on your local disk.  Another tab could be New Stuff
with a list of available updates from kdelook.  There we could have the
sandboxing for running/installing a theme from the GHNS architecture.
The idea is modeled from the DownloadDialog in KNewStuff that I've been
playing with.

> what do you think?
>
> > 	- Checkbox starts/stops theme
>
> is it possible to have more than one instance of a theme? should it be?
This has been a problem for some time.  We need to implement some sort
of session-id type config naming scheme so an initial running theme
would be myTheme-0001.rc, and a second instance would be
myTheme-0002.rc.  There is more to it than that, like persistence of
course.  It could be done though.
You see this type of stuff in the kde session support for running apps
before a logout.