[Panel-devel] Quick comment on Marc Cramdal's ALI blog

Wade Olson wadejolson at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 22:37:05 CEST 2005

Sure.

Although with current kicker habits, it could be confusing and would need
more thought.

Example: You could have Kate in an application bundle, but you've opened 2
other instances of Kate. So Kicker stacks 2 versions of Kate together, and
then your bundle is shown on Kicker. Does the bundle-Kate instance go in the
bundle and *also* the 2 stacked instances or not?

But finding the way to have an app bundle show on kicker would be nice.
Clicking on it could show the apps in the bundle, and maybe hovering on it
could show the number of apps, memory used, datetime clicked, etc.

The general idea of application bundles have many peripheral concepts to
them as well.
* Pre- and post- processing. Do you want to do something to be done before
or after launch (I guess conceptually like an isapi/nsapi filter)? Start up
apache or postgres?
* Application launch parameters: When you launch your "Developer" role
bundle, do you want to check out from subversion or have each application
launch with command-line arguments?
* Desktop grouping: Maybe clicking on the bundle in Kicker "upsizes" or
maximizes all of them at once. Maybe like a Visio block of objects, they're
dragged around the screen together? Hold the ctrl/shift/alt key down and you
get the outline of the group and can move them about (to front/to back would
be userful), or drag them together to another desktop on Kicker. Maybe
Kompose treats them as one unit if you want, or alt-tab treats them as one.

Who knows...treating a logical bundle as an atomic unit opens a lot of
possibilities both inside/outside of Plasma.

Yeah, you can write a single shell script to start a web server, db server,
and launch application with input args. But until korn shell supports
transparency and shimmer effects, I'll continue to drone on about other
options.