[Panel-devel] Text clock

Dennis SCP dennis.scp at SoftHome.net
Wed Jul 20 22:13:49 CEST 2005

As the code for the Kicker clock has been dumped I think its best to
talk about the clock first. So this would be my description of the way
a plasma clock should work:

The clock is recommended to always be international by default:
2005-07-20-13:15

The clock can be (partially) selected like plain text and during
dragging the user can choose notations with up and down arrows in the
tool-tip window. Even though the clock may have been changed by the
user from text to graphical the user should be able to grab plain text
from it, for example by selecting through the clock face and the date
underneath. The clock could simply be a two line text based date-time
clock with time at the bottom in a larger font-size.

Here is an example of a tool-tip where the user has just selected and
dragged the date from the plasma clock.

--
2005-07-20             (International or application) default

20-07-2005
7 Juli, 2005           (Local options)

07-02-2005             (US American)

??-????                (Religious calendar)

automatically current  (only supported applications)
--

The contextual menu would remain mostly the same but a calendar view as
seen in the current kicker clock should be viewable from a Calendar

The copy to clipboard options from the current contextual menu take way
to long as one must remember the target (Dutch or American
documentation) and remember the rules of that notation before picking
one from the uncategorized list. The tool-tip simply allows for more
layout. And follows the users work-flow:

Select what you want to copy from the date-time clock, focus on the
target and adjust notation only when realizing that adjustment is
necessary, then simply pick from the category list.

The international default is recommended by all our governments to
prevent disasters and a (Koffice) master document (sorry forgot the
name) setting could adjust notation in flight. This would require
data-pasting awareness by Koffice and similar applications.

So one selectable clock and all extra's and related accessed in one way
(all from the contextual menu).