[Panel-devel] kde4 kicker patches

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jul 11 05:25:34 CEST 2005

On Sunday 10 July 2005 08:30, Barış Metin wrote:
> Thanks for your comments. I've commited the patches.

excellent.

> By the way, I tried to make a TODO for KDE4 and Plasma porting based on
> your mail KDE4 and comments on the list (attached).

can we use * for "in progress"? / is just a little hard for me to see as my
mind skips over it as a separator character ;)

these are done:
  / get kicker/libkicker building (minimal port)
  / move KPanel* classes from kdelibs/kdeui to libkicker

this
  / get applets & extensions building
should also mention menuext

this
  - Qt4-ize kicker (remove remaining Qt4* classes)
should be "remove remaining Qt3* classes"

this should be "not started yet":
    ? split libkicker or evolve to libplasma
libkicker is going to be split into two libraries: libplasma and libplasmaext
(or something like that). the plasma ext(ension) library will be used for all
the things that the panels, desktop and other extensions will require. some
items from kicker proper will make there way into this library as well. this
will allow us to develop the applet and the extension libraries separately;
the language bindings will cover libplasma only; plasma itself will link to
both libraries.

    - merge/create libsuperkaramba
libsuperkaramba is actually "libplasma", so this is a dupe of:
  - harmonize with superkaramba's library

these:
    - tie the KConfigXT settings into these classes
    - move hiding/etc code from ContainerExtension to KPanelExtension
    - rethink placement code
    - allow for Extentions to communicate the form factor to contained items
all belong in a separate area from

should be in a "Create libplasmaext" library

missing from this list is an entry for "porting existing applets / creating
new applets based on libplasma". you can add the clock and systray applets to
that list as a subitem. mark the clock as Frank's and the systray as Georges'

this
    - API documents for libplasma
is actually "in progress"

> Is my understanding true? If so, should we put the file somewhere in the
> kde4 branch?

hm... yes, that probably makes sense. good start, thanks for doing this.