[Panel-devel] SuperKaramba plans

Ryan p0z3r at earthlink.net
Wed Dec 7 00:12:24 CET 2005

Let me provide some backstory.

Plasma is the interactive desktop that goes above and beyond what SuperKaramba
can do.  From what I understand, it will be composed of kparts and a
"scripting glue" from one of the language bindings.  There will be some way
for people to define their workspace layouts that others can also use simply
by loading the config.

Current status.

SuperKaramba is in 3.5.0.  It was ported to Qt4 and is in a bit of
reorganization in /trunk/KDE/kdeutils/superkaramba.  My understanding is that
Plasma will not be using any of the SK code, but instead expanding on SK's
ideas and possibilities.  Plasma  plaslets, plasmoids or themes (whatever
they end up being called) won't be written the same as how SK themes are
currently written.  If that's the case, I would like to have SuperKaramba
in /trunk basically become a Qt4 ported version of SK that people can run if
they choose to not run Plasma themes, or would like to just keep running
their favorite SK themes in KDE4.

Future.

With the above mentioned goal, that means at some point SK development will
discontinue.  That will probably occur when some efficiencies get worked out,
which will be over the next month or so.  Other than bug fixes for 3.5.0,
there won't be much to be done, except maybe change gears to work on Plasma.
This brings me to what areas we should be looking into as far as functionality
needing implemented and where in libs/base we should be scouring around.
What will be handling language bindings?  What will be controlling the theme
What naming convention should we use for Plasma KDE4 desktop(i.e. Plaslets,
Workspaces, etc.)?
Or a much simpler question, what needs help and where can I/we find a
direction to move?

If the assumptions here are inaccurate please correct me.

We should probably get some sort of document together stating what exactly we
want to do for kde4 and maybe where the code that will effect those changes
may reside.

cheers,
-Ryan