[Panel-devel] Joining the team

Wade Olson wadejolson at gmail.com
Wed Aug 24 19:51:05 CEST 2005

Hi Markus,

Thanks for the email and welcome!

I know that interest is booming for Plasma, which is turning into both a
blessing and a curse for Aaron. Hopefully with aKademy coming up shortly,
more information and immediate tasks will be forthcoming.

In the interim, for people who are just joining this young project, can I
recommend:
* Give everyone a brief synopsis of your background (student/professional,
home country, software experience, KDE experience)
* List where you think you might fit in initially (and remember that not
everyone can just step in and do the fun work of drawing on a whiteboard and
having legions do their C++ bidding)
* Do your project homework. Learn as much about Plasma as you can from:
http://plasma.kde.org/cms/1086
http://plasma.kde.org/wiki/
http://kde-artists.org/main/component/option,com_smf/Itemid,48/expv,0/board,5.0
http://appeal.kde.org/wiki/Appeal
http://netdragon.sourceforge.net/ssuperkaramba.html (for historical
reference)
Competitive analysis: Apple, MS, Gnome, 3rd party widgets
* Do your functional homework. For example, if you plan on helping with
usability, make sure you are familiar with sites like:
http://www.openusability.org/
http://www.kde.org/areas/guidelines/html/
(and many other interface guidelines...like apple.com <http://apple.com>'s
work)
Or, if you plan on coding, of course you want to be familiar with:
http://developer.kde.org/
http://www.trolltech.com/developer/
http://qtdeveloper.net/
Any site that help with OOA/OOD/Design Patterns

These simple steps can help others learn more about you, help Aaron organize
skill sets and person-power, and minimize initial delays due to lack of
preparation.

No matter how people feel about software development bureaucracy, there are
very basic project planning and resourcing tasks that have to be coordinated
with such a large disparate group forming so quickly.

Not only is Plasma going to be unbelievable, but it's really going to get
people to learn about more sophisticated programming techniques, usability
and various testing methodologies. I'd say this group is a microcosm of what
going to go on with KDE in general as it expreiences growing pains.

So welcome, and hold tight while things get organized, but hopefully there's
plenty everyone can do in the meantime to sharpen their skills and
familiarity.

Wade

*Note: This email does not necessarily reflect the views of those that know
their head from their arse.