[Panel-devel] Systray

Vince Negri vince at bulbous.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Aug 20 16:51:05 CEST 2005

Aaron J. Seigo wrote:

>>B) discrete event notification / alarms
>>C) tiny pop-up GUI controls (volume, screen resolution, keyboard
>>mapping, ...)
>

> these are the only two things that should appear in the systray. and only the
> most important items of type 'C' should be there. today we have waaay too
> many type 'C' systray icons =/

To recycle a (very fair) point Aaron made in response to my
movable-notification-area musing, the plethora of type 'C' icons seems
at least partly the result of the "because I can" factor:

"What better way to increase the c00lness of my first KDE app than to
give it a systray icon! yay!"

The common streak in all "bad" type C icons is that they don't justify
their existence in the systray when compared to the "good" type C's. An
example of a "good" type C we'd probably agree on is the keyboard
mapping icon: if you didn't have it, and had to go into Control Centre
each time to change mapping, it would be an incredible pain in the neck.

"Good" type C's control things that really benefit from the extra speed
of access (volume mute - is the phone ringing?) or require frequent
access (keyboard map.) "Bad" type C's are often just slightly faster
ways to change a setting you rarely change, so the real-world gain is
negligible and outweighed by the systray confusion created.

Certainly, giving the user the ability to hide "bad" icons, or using app
signing, will help; but we can only go so far in policing the contents
of the systray automatically. So a certain amount of social engineering
is required ;) For each "bad" systray icon, there's a reason - even if
it's a bad one. [Most likely, the programmer found him/herself wanting
faster access to something.] Plasma can offer improvements to general
app handling, window handling, applets etc so that the programmer feels
less need to jam something in the systray as a solution to an immediate
problem.