[Panel-devel] Systray (was Re: Drag'n'drop everything)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Aug 18 06:58:07 CEST 2005

On Wednesday 17 August 2005 10:16, Niels Voll wrote:
> Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> >hey Niels, good to see you here =)
>
> thanks for the warm welcome :)      I hope it's ok to de-lurk.

heh .. of course =)

> A) continuous monitoring / metering / status
>    - of hardware (CPU, network, io, ...)
>    - of software services/deamons/background processes (antivirus,
> firewall, ...)
>    - real world (time, weather, public service alert levels, ...)

these should all be applets, except perhaps the AV and firewall examples, but
those would fit into category 'B'

> B) discrete event notification / alarms
> C) tiny pop-up GUI controls (volume, screen resolution, keyboard
> mapping, ...)

these are the only two things that should appear in the systray. and only the
most important items of type 'C' should be there. today we have waaay too
many type 'C' systray icons =/

> D) often used or favorite links/shortcuts/aliases ("often used" would be
> an attempt at measurable criteria while "favorite" is subjective)

these should all be put into the app launcher, which is separate from the
systray. so these are already covered and separate. you can have as many
launcher areas as you wish, too.