[Panel-devel] Systray (was Re: Drag'n'drop everything)

Wade Olson wadejolson at gmail.com
Tue Aug 16 19:15:58 CEST 2005

I like the idea of application certification, and it doesn't necessarily
have to be intimidating or overly restrictive. There's certainly variance in
the degree of scrutiny that could be performed, but even a basic checklist
is a start.

Note: Not being on the core-devel list, I'm sure what's in place for
guidelines now.

But the systray discussion triggers the need for me, because MS doesn't get
it right either. Their flexibility/laziness allows for freedom from
application installation to execution to removal. And it gets them into
trouble with memory management, process control, etc. Their systray is a
Wild West (lawlessness or a miserable Will Smith remake, take your pick) for
applications in functionality.

In the same way that you have expectations when discussing reliable rpm
packages or J2EE manifests, a KDE application should evoke an agreed-upon
consensus on i18n, 'what's this" tags, systray use, usability, etc. Or if I
see that amarok is "Grade AAA Seigo", I know that I'm only getting the best.

Are such things being kicked around on other lists? Do people regard this
idea well or poorly?