[Owncloud] Owncloud for backup

Jose David Bravo A jbravo at colombiahosting.com.co
Tue Jan 14 23:10:29 UTC 2014

Hi Klass,

I started the developing of the backup solution I mentioned to you.

For now I have it in: http://github.com/jdbravo/mirall-backup and I already made:

    1. In the wizard you can choose the folders you want to backup, just clicking in the folder checkbox. You don't need to enter aliases or target paths. ( screenshot: http://66.128.54.89/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=5ffebb5243ce8c8d4c97f8b578956709 )
    2. I created a class called StructureChecker, and it will create the structure for each folder you selected. Ie, if you choose the folder /home/user1/folderToBackup, it will go to owncloud and will create /backups, /backups/home, /backups/home/user1 and /backups/home/user1/folderToBackup. We need to do this before add the folders to the FolderMan (screenshot: http://66.128.54.89/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=d9e967caf6f877e67b05b53665cd1174 )
    3. In the Account Settings you can add more folders, delete, etc. But you don't need to deal with aliases or targets because it's for backups (if you want to backup your data you don't care in what directory or with what alias you want to store it) (screenshot: http://66.128.54.89/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=75682c11b459d9f6cd10ba5d471a41c1 )
    4. Finally you can go to the Restore Widget and it will show you the folders/dirs inside "/backup" (constant string in account.h), every time you click on a folder it will run a spinner and load the childrens files/folders. (screenshot: http://66.128.54.89/owncloud/public.php?service=files&t=299187fff20efa9952a9a302206a060d )

But now begins the hard work, the restore process.

I want to display the files versions, I can't do that with webdav, right? how can I get those then?
Any ideas of how can I restore a full backup? using again csync? or just download the files using the webdav with a QNetwork...?

I haven't tried it in Win/Mac, just in linux but I think it should work fine.

What do you think? Owncloud is great and we don't need to do many things to fork it for backups, Mozzy, CrashPlan are grooving very fast and we can do something similar with owncloud and opensource.

Thanks,

Jose David Bravo Álvarez