[Owncloud] How I just lost 2/3 of my files to the sync-client

Jakub Moscicki Jakub.Moscicki at cern.ch
Thu Feb 6 08:05:24 UTC 2014

Hello,

For using the owncloud client in professional context ("enterprise") the absolute requirement is that things like this do not happen.  I think that this should be addressed in priority. The question is how we achieve it.

Recovering from backup should be really the last resort. To support 100s or 1000s of users we cannot ask them to follow a procedure on their side to disable one sync client and alike. This is proven not to work. The client update should be transparent and safe. We currently have users with different client versions (some as old as 1.4.2). I currently have little confidence in what will happen when they upgrade their clients. I will most likely have to assist them one by one. From experience anything can happen (config file messed up, complete redownload,…). This is not always the problem of the client only (server has it's part in it too) but the net result is what matters.

The owncloud server has two versions (community = latest greatest, enterprise = stable plus critical bugfixes, sometimes backported from community). Why don't we have the same for the owncloud client? If we had, then I would be more confident that an (automatic) update from 1.5.0 to 1.5.x will do no harm. Because 1.5 has the "enterprise" stability. And because the owncloud devs would not put any potentially dangerous changes in it. And we (people deploying owncloud for their users) can control when we switch from 1.5 to 1.6 (or skip 1.6 and go to 1.7).  Of course there should be a very clear meaning on backwards compatibility in the numbering scheme. And very clear update paths between major versions if needed.

Concretely, what about having isv:ownCloud:desktop-enterprise repository for Linuxes and a separate download channel for Windows/Mac for client enterprise version?

Additionally, if we can settle on a core which is guaranteed stable I am willing to restrict the set of features to our users at the benefit of stability and security (for example, only one sync folder pair to sync the entire owncloud account). I think this should also be considered, until the owncloud client has matured enough with all the offered features. I would accept  the "dangerous" features to be disabled in the enterprise.

Best regards,

kuba

--

I think that first of all the (owncloud) project must make sure that this is much less likely to happen at all. I imagine us having soon several hundreds users