[Owncloud] App developers: We will deprecate use of %webroot% in CSS for ownCloud 7

Jan-Christoph Borchardt hey at jancborchardt.net
Wed Feb 5 17:49:31 UTC 2014

Heya app developers! :)

Currently apps can include icons from core in their CSS using %webroot%.
We need to remove this because of performance reasons and will disable
support for it in ownCloud 7. The alternative for this is already in
master in the form of a new CSS file: icons.css
https://github.com/owncloud/core/blob/master/core/css/icons.css

All the icons from core can be included in your apps now without any
additional CSS. To do that, you would use the classes .icon and .icon-action
For example if you have a »Favorites« entry in the navigation of your
app, you would add the star icon by simply doing this:
<li class="icon icon-star">Favorites</li>

So now please remove everything containing %webroot% from your CSS and
switch to using the core classes in your HTML.
If you duplicated any icons from core into your app, please best also
change to using the icons from core.

Additionally, we will get rid of %appswebroot% as well. This was not
only bad for performance but also mostly useless: Apps generally used it
to reference themselves anyway.
If you for example have an app called »myfavoritesandwich« and in your
CSS you use »%appswebroot%/myfavoritesandwich/img/« you can just replace
that by »../img/«. No need to traverse all the way out of your app.
And if you use %appswebroot% to include something from a different app –
stop that! Apps should be self-contained. ;)

Any questions?