[Owncloud] Fwd: How I just lost 2/3 of my files to the sync-client

Benjamin Schieder blindcoder at scavenger.homeip.net
Wed Feb 5 13:20:23 UTC 2014

Hello there.

The subject is intentionally scary but it's equally important, at least
I think so.
I just lost about 2/3 of my files to the sync client version 1.5.0
running on Debian connected to an owncloud instance version 5.0.13 also
running on Debian. I'm writing this here down to warn others of this
particular caveat.

I have a fairly big owncloud files directory. Around 20 GB spread over
thousands of files.
I used to have a clientsync/ directory that was synced between three
computers.
After a reinstallation of my laptop and re-configuration of the sync
client, the client now synced the / directory of my server instead of
the /clientsync directory.
Well, that was fine with me, so I decided to move the directories from
/clientsync/* to / .
The sync client then started working on that and the logfile showed lots
of "Moved" messages. All fine so far.
At some point, the sync client encountered a 500 Internal server error
and stopped working.
During investigation, the sync client crashed and I restarted it.
Now it started to sync again but started deleting files on the server
and locally.
In the end, only the files successfully "Moved" were kept, all others
that existed on the server but not on the client or vice-versa were
deleted.

Personally, I'd call that a serious bug but am unsure how I can and if I
want to reproduce it.

I was able to restore the files from another machines sync directory,
but it was very scary nonetheless.

Be careful out there!

Kind regards,
Benjamin