[Owncloud] Debian vs. owncloud.org package

MJ Ray mjr at phonecoop.coop
Fri Sep 27 10:41:45 UTC 2013

On 09/25/13 14:35, Chris wrote:
> http://packages.debian.org/jessie/owncloud
> we can see that this package is pulling in several
> dependencies from the debian repos instead of
> using the ones shipped with the OC package
> from owncloud.org.
>
> This leads to some bugs like:

Or we could say that the bugs are caused by owncloud.org customising
(possibly bugfixing) the libraries and embedding all libraries rather
than getting the standalone libraries changed and saying which versions
it is known to work or not work with; and by following a different
interpretation of the File Hierarchy Standard instead of being ready to
be installed in /opt or /usr/share.

It's debatable and similar splits have happened elsewhere, but there are
two sides that we can look at this from.  No-one caused those bugs alone.

Regards,
--
MJ Ray (slef), member of www.software.coop, a for-more-than-profit co-op