[Owncloud] enforcing password policy compliance

Stefan Vollmar vollmar at nf.mpg.de
Sat Sep 14 10:59:16 UTC 2013

Hello,

I know that enforcing compliance with a specific password policy is controversial and I have no intention of entering a discussion about the usefulness, technical merits or desirability of password policies here: we currently have a compulsory password policy for all our institutes - this is simply the legal situation. -

We have added a few lines of PHP-code to our OwnCloud installation (current release) so that our setup only accepts new passwords that are at least 8 characters long and use a mixture of digits, upper- and lowercase letters in addition to "special" characters like ",", ";", "&", etc. The attached screen shot shows that the error message reflects in what way a new password does not comply with the MPS password policy (here: two criteria of the policy are not met).

We have made a few small changes here:
core/lostpassword/controller.php
and here:
core/lostpassword/templates/resetpassword.php
and are happy to share that code.

It is very simple to implement variations e.g. a policy that only ensures new passwords have a certain minimum length.

Warm regards,
 Stefan
--
Dr. Stefan Vollmar, Dipl.-Phys.