[Owncloud] Problem with changing data directory

Klaas Freitag freitag at owncloud.com
Thu Sep 5 11:56:19 UTC 2013

On 04.09.2013 20:57, Thomas Gries wrote:
> Am 04.09.2013 10:40, schrieb Thomas Müller:
>> The console script cannot handle this up to now.
>> Up to now moving the data dir is not really supported at all.
>> We need to analyse how to support this properly.
>> But to be honest I don't see this with high priority at the moment.
>

> allow me to say: *please raise the priority.*

Hah, this is exactly the outcome when it comes to discussions about
priorities in a FOSS community that way.  Who should raise the priority
to whom? That's not how it's gonna to work because there is no instance
which is able to set priorities in FOSS communities. (Yes, there are
exceptions, if the community is organized enough to create featureplans
with priorities and stick to that. Or if there are sub groups within the
community who set their own prios. etc.)

It flies the other way round: If that problem is a priority to you,
great, start working on it. If you are not a developer (often people
respond that on that kind of advise) that's only a small excuse ;-)

You still could
- try to convince people with arguments why the prio should be higher
- explain _exactly_ how the feature should look like
- check the issue tracker if others have reported, comment there
- wire people together who are involved
- test if the feature is there later
- document and 'advertise' the feature
- maintain the stuff later
These importance of these things are often underestimated.

regards,
Klaas